Welcome back after the holiday break! I wanted to kick off the year with a very simple Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe. Over the holidays, I took a week off from my day job, as well as my private practice. With all of that extra time on my hands, I imagined I would be in the mood to do all sorts of blogging. WRONG! I was lazy AF — and I’m not sorry for it. Having spend so many other holidays working nonstop, I think m y body was ready for a break. While we often think of Intuitive Eating as just the “eating” part, it has also helped me to honor my body’s need for rest.
With that said, it has been nice to start getting back into a routine. My sleep, eating, and exercise were all quite sporadic over break. Just as I was craving rest over break, I was also craving some proper meals (aka more than just cookies lol). For some reason, I have really been craving sweet potatoes lately. In the summer, I tend to crave crisp, cool foods , but in the winter I’m all about the warm cozy meals. At the same time, I also don’t really like to spend hours in the kitchen. Since I imagine you are the same, I thought I would share this simple Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes recipe with you. I normally just throw things together, but I tried to nail down the ingredients as best as I could so you can give it a try at home.
Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed I used no salt added
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 tbsp salsa plus more when serving
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning I used reduced sodium
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- hot sauce, to taste
- toppings of choice (guacamole, diced tomatoes, onion, shredded cheese, etc)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Prick sweet potatoes a couple of times with a fork and place on baking sheet. Place in oven for 40 minutes.
- In meantime, heat frozen corn in the microwave for about 2 minutes in a microwave-safe bowl. After removing from the microwave, add in black beans, 3 tablespoons of salsa, and 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, scoop in the sour cream. Add in hot sauce to desired taste. Add 1 tsp of water in at a time while stirring until the mixture can easily be drizzled.
- Once the sweet potato is ready, cut down the center and then mash with a fork. Scoop bean mixture on top. Top with desired toppings. Drizzle with sour cream.
Other Recipes I Liked:
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Chickpea Spinach
- Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
I hope you enjoy and let me know how you customize this with fun toppings.