With it still being winter here in South Dakota, I have been craving warmer, hearty breakfasts each morning. Coincidentally, March is also National Nutrition Month® so I figured this would be the perfect time to share my current go-to breakfast. My loaded chocolate oatmeal recipe is just what the weather ordered! This oatmeal is topped with berries, chocolate chips, and chia seeds. It’s delicious and also keeps me full so I’m not reaching for other snacks within the hour. Plus, you really can’t mess up an oatmeal recipe — so feel free to customize based on what you have in your pantry.
As a part of National Nutrition Month®, the first week’s key message is to “eat a variety of nutritious foods every day“. This chocolate oatmeal recipe fits the theme nicely as it includes complex carbs, antioxidants, nutritious fats, and protein. I tend to find that when I have a combination of protein, fat and carbs at my breakfast, I feel more focused on my morning tasks. While I do love snacks, I don’t normally have one in the morning. Part of the reason I haven’t needed to pause for a morning snack is because this recipe is so filling.
Loaded Chocolate Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup oats (I used old fashioned)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder
- splash milk (to desired consistency)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- other desired toppings (goji berries, chocolate chips, chia seeds, flax seed, honey, etc)
- Add oats and water into a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute, stir, and then place back into microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Continue heating and stirring to desired consistency.
- Remove from microwave, stir protein powder and splash of milk to preferred thickness.
- Stir in peanut butter and any other toppings.
- Top with fresh blueberries and enjoy.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and comment below what your go-to breakfast is!
P.S. Have you checked out my podcast yet?! I impulsively started one last week called Spilling the Beans (real creative and revolutionary name, huh?! haha) Be sure to subscribe and leave me a review. That helps me out a TON!